Hi, we’re Hathway!
Headquartered on California’s beautiful Central Coast in San Luis Obispo, with a fast-growing office in high-tech and bustling Dallas, our company is a unique blend of talent, clients, dreams and the aspiration to connect brands with people.
Hathway is looking for a highly capable Staff Accountant to provide our project team with accounting support. As a Staff Accountant, you will manage all project accounting, expenses, and invoices. Your duties will also include reviewing budgets and preparing project related financial reports.
To be successful as our Staff Accountant, you should possess extensive experience in accounting and the ability to provide Account Managers (AM) and Project Managers (PM) with accurate financial information.
The Staff Accountant reports directly to the Controller.
- Effectively communicate with Project and Account Managers, regarding client contracts, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Prepare complex monthly invoices for all billable projects, including all applicable backup for approval by the Controller.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing; communicate with the Controller, as to your observations and actions taken.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period.
- Maintain the invoicing folders for all projects, with all the corresponding documents, including approved time entries, expenses, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Provide the accounts payables team member with advice on project expense coding relative to reimbursable expenses. It is expected that the Biller maintain a continuous line of communication to clear any open issues.
- Generate and distribute weekly receivables reports.
- Write off any uncollectible receivables, labor or expenses, as directed by the Controller.
- Review weekly time sheets, along with the Project Accounting group.
- Analyze the P & L accounts monthly, as assigned by the Controller.
- Recommend and implement agreed process improvements to the billing cycle.
- Prepare special project analyses for the Controller, PMs and AMs.
- Provide year-end support of auditor requirements, which may include research and reconciliations.
- Perform additional assignments, as directed by the Controller.
- Communicate and coordinate with remote teams.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business preferred.
- 3-5+ years of billing and receivables, with at least 2-3 years preferably in advertising, media, web/app development.
- Knowledge in Quickbooks and Mavenlink or other similar accounting platforms a plus.
- A thorough knowledge of Excel including Vlookups, Hlookups, SumIfs, etc etc
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
- Highly-effective communication skills (verbal, written and listening); confident in delivery and ability to support results or findings.
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, and report problems to the Controller, as necessary.
- Incredibly strong interpersonal and conflict resolutions skills.
- Ability to use strong judgement when navigating grey areas, and proven track record of finding creative solutions to challenging problems.
Want to Join Us?
There’s an infectious energy at Hathway. We believe that our passion for our craft and desire to strive for work/life harmony are what set us apart. This is reflected in our 6 core values: Collaboration, Inclusivity, Imagination, Accountability, Excellence, and Fun! Along with our comprehensive benefits package, we provide regular company-wide lunches and happy hours, sponsor epic ping pong and foosball competitions, and encourage connection and personal development through our Lunch + Learns – think passion projects and discussion on new technologies and industry trends. Apply with us by completing the information below. You will have a chance to attach your resume and relevant portfolio work when you submit. Cheers!
Hathway proudly provides Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and
prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex,
origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, and placement
all of the positions included on, but not limited to, our Careers page.